Information for Summer Students

During Summer Session non-UCLA students may enroll in regular UCLA classes and participate in the UCLA Film & TV Internship Program. Summer students get access to our proprietary online database of internship companies, attend the weekly seminar, participate in mixers and field trips, and are invited to join our Internship Program Alumni Network.

Upperclassmen may also apply for the Summer Institute in Producing, which combines an internship with a full-time, six-week curriculum of UCLA courses on the entertainment industry and producing.

This page provides summer students with information on how to obtain an internship, how to enroll in our internship program, and where to look for additional information.

  1. Obtaining an Internship
  2. Enrolling in Internship Classes
  3. Housing
  4. Information for International Students


1. Obtaining an Internship

Obtaining an internship is very similar to finding a job. It is ultimately your responsibility to secure the internship. But we provide some of tools to assist you in the process. Start off with our Applying for Internships pamphlet.

The UCLA Film & TV Internship Program maintains a comprehensive database of internships in the entertainment industry. Every quarter we are contacted by studios, agencies, production and management companies, and networks who seek qualified UCLA applicants. Feel free to search the database.

Please know that we make every effort to screen and admit only the most reputable companies. However, you are encouraged to further research these companies and use your own best judgment in pursuing the right opportunity. If you believe a company does not provide a professional and adequate work environment, please let us know:

The UCLA Career Center also maintains a comprehensive database of internships and job opportunities across many industries with Bruinview.

IMPORTANT: Companies usually start recruiting summer interns from December through April. It is your responsibility to apply to those offers on time.


2. Enrolling in Internship Classes

In order to receive credit for an internship, undergraduates must enroll in two classes: One section of FTV 183A, 183B or 183C AND FTV 195:

  • FTV 183ABC "Producing 1-3" is a series of courses that offer undergraduate students an overview of the film and television industries. Students can enroll in any section that is offered that summer session. Each course includes lectures and discussions of contemporary entertainment industry trends and issues. Please see the Registrar's schedule for current class times. Attendance is required of all undergraduates in all six weeks.
  • FTV 195 "Corporate Internship in Film & TV" offers academic credit for fieldwork. You must commit six weeks to your internship. There are no weekly meetings for this course. FTV 183A, 183B or 183C AND 195 must be taken concurrently with the internship.


  • Undergraduate students must have junior or senior standing to enroll in FTV 183 and FTV 195. Freshmen, sophomores and those students with an internship not related to film and television should contact the Center for Community Learning for internships courses with other departments.
  • Undergraduate students from all majors are welcome to participate in the Film & TV Internship Program.

Course requirements:

  • Students earn four units for FTV 183 and 2 to 6 units for the FTV 195 internship component. Students should elect 2 units for a minimum of 140 hours per session; 4 units for a minimum of 170 hours per session; and 6 units for a minimum of 200 hours per session.
  • Students receiving 6 units for 195 should conduct 3 interviews with individuals in their office and include a report with their final paper.
  • A completed time sheet, approved by the student's internship supervisor, is required at the end of the quarter.


  • Register through the Summer Session website.
  • Set up a MyUCLA account.
  • You can enroll in FTV 183A, 183B or 183C directly through MyUCLA.
  • To enroll in FTV 195 you will need to complete a contract first. The enrollment process for Contract Courses (independent studies with the guidance of a faculty mentor) begins on MyUCLA when students generate a "contract" for a course in their chosen subject area and field of interest. You find the Contract Course function on the MyUCLA Legacy site. Follow the instructions and print out the contract. Click for a step-by-step manual.
  • You will also have to complete and get all the signatures for the Liability Waiver, Student Learning Agreement and Worker's Comp Agreement. Your employer will have to approve and sign the latter two as well. Download the complete Internship Package.
  • Drop off the completed Internship Package at the Film & TV Internship Office in 225B East Melnitz or email them to the Internship Coordinator: Once the faculty adviser has approved the paperwork, your enrollment will be processed and FTV 195 will show up on your class list.
  • After you are formally enrolled you may request a verification of credit letter for your employer, if needed. Click here for instructions
3. Housing

If you enroll in a minimum of 4 units in Summer Session, you may be eligible for on-campus housing. For more information, please visit the UCLA Housing Office.

4. Information for International Students

Due to rules by the Office of Homeland Security, international students who are not enrolled full-time at a U.S. college or university and do not have a valid F-1 or J-1 visa are not eligible for internships. International students with an F-1 or J-1 visa who have been enrolled for a minimum of nine months at a U.S. institution prior to the start of the summer internship may qualify. For further information, please contact the Summer Session Office: